Monday, July 17, 2017

Day 30: Just a beef kid in dairy world

Hello everyone!

So far, today has been great! Mikhel, our driver, came to pick us up at 7:30 to go to Debre Zeit. We arrived at the research center there and Hannah got started into her chicken weighing. I was the assistant who wrote down the weights while she actually weighed the birds. After that, we headed out to meet Mohammed.

Mohammed had a meeting in the morning, so it ended being about an hour and fifteen minutes later when he was ready to go. It sucked waiting, but I did get a new high score on my game! When Mohammed finally came out, we went to Tilahun Kopessa. This was a small farm but dairy was their main business so they had 15 dairy cows. The whole family was apart of the business and while I was asking questions, everyone stood around us. It was kind of funny to see that they were so interested in what I was doing though they could not understand me. When we went out to see the cows, there was one that they claimed was of the Jersey breed. Mohammed and I both chuckled because it looked very much like a Holstein. Also, my photographer - Hannah - had some fun while I asked questions.

  (The so called Jersey)

The next two farms we visited were right next to each other. They both had 19 head of cattle. I was not able to get pictures of these cows because they were worried about biosecurity. Even though I am not the one that is communicating directly with these farmers, I love to talk about their management practices and see how those practices really reflect on their milk production. There is a lot that goes in not only beef cattle but dairy cattle as well. As one that has grown up entirely with beef it's interesting to compare the two, especially because it is in a developing country. I am actually looking forward to writing my 15-22 page research paper for the World Food Prize. It'll be neat to put my own work in to words. 

For the rest of the day, I will enter data into my table and afterwards I will go to the gym. I am looking forward to relaxing the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment