Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Day 18: Abstract Work

G'day folks!

I have to tell you about last night because I didn't know we were going out until we did! After the 'work day' Nardos said she wanted to take us out to city. I thought we might just walk to the coffee shop around the corner from ILRI but nope! We actually went across the street, across the train tracks, and to the other side of the road to get into a van taxi with 16 other people. When we got out of that taxi, we got into another one to go even further. There were so many people everywhere waiting to get into these van taxis and be driven where ever they needed. Eventually, we got out at our stop and started walking on the poor sidewalks and the wet and muddy street to get to a shop called Salem's. They had closed but the owner said we could come in and look. Everything was handmade. The baskets, bowls, scarves, jewelry. It was all super pretty too. After that we walked a bit further to see if Nardos' aunt was at her shop. Turns out her aunt, uncle, cousin, and other family works a photography studio. They all greeted us kindly with a handshake and shoulder bump (the traditional greeting). After some chatting Nardos' cousin recommended we go to a smoothie shop for dinner. It was about 3 shops down. We had chicken wraps and after Hannah and I had vanilla milkshakes. Those were really good but I could tell the difference in the milk compared to milk at home. We eventually had one of Nardos' relatives take us back to ILRI. It was a really fun evening and I'm glad we could experience some more of the culture.

                       (Our reactions to the crowded van)           (Hannah and I with Nardos)
            (Enjoying the rain from a cool coffee shop)

(Nardos' and her family)

This morning, Hannah and I went to breakfast where I had toast with apricot jam, strawberries, and pineapple juice. We then made our way to the genetics building. I sat down and got started on finishing my abstract right away so that I can send it in by Friday. I sent my first draft to Dr. Olivier and he proofread it and gave me more focused tips to make it all correct and proper for what I will being doing.

We eventually met with Nardos and went to lunch in the cafeteria. They were all out of fish by the time I had got there so I went with the beef koftu (it looked like meatballs). The meat was pretty alright but the vegetables and rice they put with it were not very good.

After lunch, we returned to the genetics building and I finalized my draft of my project abstract with the help of Dr. Olivier. Around 3:00, Hannah and I met with Nardos and Dr. Marmusha, one of Nardos' colleagues, for coffee. We chatted over Hannah and I's beloved cappuccinos. We eventually parted ways. Hannah and I went to the gym and had dinner after. I got a cheeseburger. For it being an American imitation, it was still really good!

I'm not sure what we will be up to tomorrow but on Friday, we will travel to Debre Zeit to see what it is for sure that I will be doing!

1 comment:

  1. Love that you are seeing the local businesses and people!

    ReplyDelete