Saturday, May 6, 2017

Orientation Day!

I am so very proud and pleased to announce that I am a 2017 Borlaug-Ruan Intern for this summer! I will be working at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

A few things about the internship:

- I leave June 16 and return August 15

- You can follow my trip on this blog (kelliwickstravels.blogspot.com)

- I am still unsure of the exact project I will be doing while I am there, I will update you all once I know!

- There is one other girl traveling with me from states, her name is Hannah Heit from New Hampton

- I can be reached through the free apps - Whatsapp & Skype (will post usernames later on!)

- Ethiopia is about 8 hours ahead of American Central Standard Time (CST)

Today, was orientation day for all 24 Borlaug-Ruan (BR) Interns at the World Food Prize Hall of Laureates in Des Moines, IA. Mom and Dad both went with me to also be overwhelmed with loads of information. We listened to basic information about health things to keep in mind, culture shock, and going to and from out host countries.

I am so excited and looking forward to this new adventure this summer! Ambassador Ken Quinn reminded all interns that we will be able to have Dr. Borlaug's name on our resumes, and very few people have the opportunity. Dr. Borlaug is my hero and I cannot wait to keep working towards my goal of being like him! Feel free to comment or reach out to me through this blog! Thanks for following me on my travels! 

~ Kelli

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Kelli! I'm looking forward to following your adventures through this blog!

    ReplyDelete